Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Your verdicts are emphatic : Tommy Sheridan should NOT be ostracised, and we should remain in the EU

As you'll probably have seen days ago, these were the final results of the two readers' polls I ran at the weekend...

Should the pro-independence movement ostracise Tommy Sheridan?

Yes : 135 votes (18.3%)
No : 604 votes (81.7%)

In the EU referendum, will you vote to 'Remain' or 'Leave'?

Remain : 651 votes (86.3%)
Leave : 103 votes (13.7%)

Apologies to anyone who was unable to vote because the polls were already closed.  If I'd known it was going to take me until the middle of week to post the results, I'd have left them open for much longer than 24 hours!

*  *  *

It's almost reassuring to discover that the No2AV campaign was not (quite) the most disreputable campaign in the entire history of democratic politics.  Ladies and gentlemen, let me present to you the "No Men in Women's Bathrooms" campaign, which has just emerged victorious in the city of Houston.  You're way ahead of me here - the proposition that voters were deciding on had little or nothing to do with allowing men in women's bathrooms (the word "bathroom" wasn't even mentioned), but was instead a very broad anti-discrimination law.  Apparently, the No campaign's deception was so successful that polling evidence showed a large percentage of voters truly believed that they were voting on a straight choice between allowing men in women's bathrooms, and not allowing men in women's bathrooms.  Even the official victory rally was plastered with the slogan "No Men in Women's Bathrooms".

If this sort of thing wasn't so tragic, it would be hysterically funny.  It kind of is anyway.

*  *  *

Just to give everyone fair warning, I'm resigning myself to the likelihood of having to run a third fundraiser soon.  I had hoped and expected that I could hold off for a while longer, which would have been a lot better, because it would have given me the opportunity of working out exactly what my plans are, what the purpose of the fundraiser is, exactly what timescale it will cover, etc, etc.  But a few random events that I hadn't budgeted for have suddenly caught up with me.   Daft though it may sound, one of them was getting stranded on Arran last month because of fog, which cost me a small fortune in accommodation (I had to book an expensive twin room because it seemed to be the only room left in the whole of Brodick), food and transport the next day.

So the objectives of the fundraiser may have to be slightly vaguer this time, although you can rest assured that I won't dream of running a fourth one until you've had your money's worth.  Even so, fans of "hypothecation" may not approve!

It seemed to me there was an organised "concern trolling" attempt to sabotage the second fundraiser last autumn.  It didn't succeed, but I still found it very upsetting, because the comments were essentially questioning my sincerity and commitment just days after the independence referendum.  For the sake of my own sanity (and probably everyone else's), I'll be deleting any suspicious comments this time as soon as I see them.

30 comments:

  1. Yeah the Houston thing was depressing.
    By the way JK, if you ever fancy a trip to the fascinating Hungarian city of Szeged, you can reckon without accommodation costs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fundraiser before or after Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking more like tomorrow! I would have done it last night, but I'm really struggling with how to pitch it, and what target to set, as I've no idea how frequent my blogging will be.

      Delete
  3. I was wondering how you were doing, James. When do you get it going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to contribute, just wish there were more polls happening for you to comment on.

    And next time you get stranded somewhere or need accommodation, give us a shout, there's bound to be someone on here nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The result in Houston also may have resulted in large part thanks to an own goal: a massive failure by proponents to reach out to the Hispanic and African American communities. Hopefully Houston's "Yes" side does better next time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fundraiser for your excellent work and site? Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think I'll pass on this opportunity this time. I have given money before in the excitement of 2014 but not this time. In my naivety, I didn't realise this would be a never-ending call for funds. Why can't Kelly get a part-time job and do this blog part-time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a nasty, spiteful devil. Utterly petty, judgement-passing, and pharisaical.

      You couldn't even begin to do this blog to James's rigorous standards.

      Haud your arrogant wheesht for a blissful change.

      And as for you, GWC, don't even start, you croaking toad that you are.

      Delete
    2. Anon : That's exactly the sort of comment I intended to remove, but as David has already responded I'll let it pass. Do you seriously think this blog is my sole income? The fundraisers brought in around £9000 last year, and nothing since then - could you live on that? I suspect not.

      Any further attempts to sabotage a possible fundraiser with concern trolling will be deleted. What you're doing is absolutely blatant.

      Delete
    3. Don't be ridiculous.

      While there are many blogs that are written solely 'for fun' across the internet, there are also ones which are run on an ongoing basis which are funded by subscription. To pick an example at random from sites I visit, ESPN ask readers to pay for certain expert analysis on their 'fantasy sports' games. I don't, but I have no doubt some people do because the analysis is of interest/use to them and they want it.

      This is a polling blog offering similar expert analysis, not one which was set up solely for the referendum. There are still polls. Therefore, there is still polling analysis to be done (free of unionist spin on them, too!) and there are still people here who want to read it. If you're in any way genuine and you don't want to pay, you don't have to. The best bit is that you can still read it for free afterwards if James makes his target regardless of your help (and I am betting he will). This site is invaluable and needed, and has obviously got a loyal readership for that reason.

      Delete
  8. You do realise that having Tommy Sheridan in your movement is like drinking hemlock?

    Aldo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you did a long, long time ago, Aldo.

      It's the ju-ju, zombie medication that keeps you knuckle-dragging along.

      Delete
  9. It's such arrogance to pose the question about Sheridan. Whatever happened to forgiveness. Those with the most talent often have personality flaws. He's still one of Scotland's greatest ever orators and is on our side. So ffs give it a rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But he's a liability. From my point of view it's great you have him in such a strong embrace. But you really ought to consider that people - normal people - see Sheridan and think 'extreme / unworkable / a bit of a laugh'. It confirms peoples' worst suspicions about Scottish separatism.

      Aldo

      Delete
    2. Kerist Jeezuz! "Normal"! And you would know what that is, Aldo?

      By Jinky, paranoid delusions will never cease to exist!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. Glasgow Working ClassNovember 7, 2015 at 9:06 PM

      Greatest orator indeed. Gobshite more like it. The man has no clue about poverty and the working class.

      Delete
  10. Am happy to donate the glorious sum of........

    A button.
    An old receipt.
    A piece of fluff (most likely navel in origin)
    Part of a 2 pence piece......

    Sorry that's all I can manage but we teachers are pretty hard up these days!

    Aldo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God help the student body, Aldo, with you as their dominie.

      All the poisonous, non-evidence substantiated pap that you must inflict on them must take a wheen of time to cleanse from their probing intellects.

      Delete
  11. This is my second "go to" site, after Wings on a daily basis. And first site when a poll comes out. Fundraise away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. James
    Second Derick. Am passing the word.

    Best, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gordimhor235@googlemail.comNovember 5, 2015 at 2:22 PM

    I also find this blog very interesting. Even when I dont agree with it Happy to contribute to your fund raiser.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will try to donate, James!

    This would be easier for me if it was through a site that allows text donations (spare money, you see!) but will see what I can do regardless of payment options and I hope you get sorted out. Like others, this is one of the first blogs I look at most days (and first if I know there has been a poll out or local elections the night before or things like that!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I echo what Pantone300 said about someplace to stay. Argyll will always welcome you.

    Fundraise away...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Asking about "ostracising" anyone is loading the question sonewhat. If you'd asked if "Thommy Sheridan should be welcomed inside the independence movement" I wonder what result you would have got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glasgow Working ClassNovember 6, 2015 at 1:03 AM

      I am sure the burds would welcome him. Wummin like a hairy chested man that can talk the drawers aff them.

      Delete
    2. Eat your cereal.

      Delete
  17. Don't know if you have seen this before or how scientific it is:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/poll/19-10-2015/should-the-uk-stay-in-the-eu

    ReplyDelete